West London Business (WLB) has a turnover of c.£500k per annum and a staff team of 11 FTE, supported by a network of associates. Download our Annual Review 2020-21.
Key recent impact areas, where our role is either lead advocate or to work in close partnership/ support other advocates, are:
- Orbital rail connectivity in Mayor’s new transport strategy.
- Heathrow 3rd runway backed by Government and Parliament.
- Supporting Cycle superhighway 9.
- Failed power supply to key business cluster brought back on stream with increased resilience.
- Fast broadband investment by Openreach in Park Royal ‘not spot’.
- Education – secure funding with partners to launch West London Institute of Technology and Mayors Construction Academy West London Hub.
- Green energy – enabling access to lowest possible price on green electricity contracts.
- Greener supply chain – backing £1.6m Better Futures investment in London CleanTech fund for start-ups..
- Industrial – ensuring defence of industrial land is a key policy priority of Mayor.
- Housing crisis – surfacing & sharing best practice employer support.
- Planning consent – input to Borough local plan updates and insight for investors on local priorities to navigate the system.
West London Business’ roots go back to 1994. You can download a full history of WLB published for our 25th anniversary. Over several decades we have delivered a range of programmes and impacted in numerous areas:
- Project managed development of LDA-funded West London Economic Development Strategy (2004-6)
- Helped to broker redeployment and mentoring services through our membership and partners for Gillette when their Brentford manufacturing site closed in 2006; 380 of the 500 staff were successfully redeployed through these efforts.
- Created and manage the West London Business Awards (2013-)
- Implemented West London Inward Investment Programme with LDA and Think London (2004-2009)
- Formulated and published policy manifestos for national and local elections, on behalf of the West London business community
- Actively supported successful efforts to secure Davies Commission backing for Heathrow
- Initiated the Golden Mile Group, which became the Golden Mile Transport Group
- Launched and facilitates the Park Royal Business Group
- Created and led London West Business Consortium
- Managed 7 local agencies supporting over 600 start-ups and micros
- Secured ERDF funding (£0.5m) for – and lead partner for – Gateway Asia
- Assisted over 250 businesses develop their exports
Any queries relating to our Impact can be sent to our CEO by email.